Friday, March 25, 2011

So I need a plan

Yep, definitely need a plan. The last two days have been an unmitigated disaster of sitting around my dad's house doing next to nothing and eating everything tasty in his kitchen, including a lot of bread, cheese, peanut butter, and chocolate. Which, come to think of it, is what I've ALWAYS done at my dad's, and might have had something to do with the development of those eating habits that kept me around 165 for so long. But that is neither here nor there.

Two not insignificant issues are fundamentally biological and can't-do-anything-about-it. One, it's very dry here, easy to get dehydrated, which leads to low energy and empty-needy feeling in the stomach, which mimics hunger, and since it's SO much dryer than my usual environment plus the water doesn't taste very good, it's difficult to even keep up with my basic hydration needs, let alone use water as an appetite suppressant as I'm accustomed to doing. Two, I'm in a place I can't navigate where everything is very spread-out and outside is all compacted snow and ice, so the ways of getting out and active, whether for casual activity or a run, are very limited. Not being active causes one to burn fewer calories, and also to feel somewhat stiff and low-energy, and lack endorphins.

Mental issues include boredom, which is highly influenced by the middle-of-nowhere-ness of this place and the lack of exercise. The other thing is not knowing what to expect, having no structure to my day. These are somewhat intertwined issues. When I am at home and easily eat little, it's pretty much because I have an idea of what times I'm going to eat and am absorbed with other things in the betweentimes. I only think of eating at other times than I planned if my body is really insistent about it, or if I feel the need for a distraction, but my environmental conditions usually make it inconvenient to indulge the latter case.

So tomorrow, there is going to be a dinner type thing at 5:30. There might be some other stuff earlier in the day. I am planning to eat scrambled eggs for breakfast, then drink coffee (I haven't been drinking as much coffee either, which might have something to do with it) and snack on clementines, hot cocoa, and skim milk throughout the day, with a can of beans for a filling but rather low-calorie protein source to back me up if I need it. At dinner and also throughout, one thing to remember is not to give in to munchy pleasure, the swallowing and filling up your stomach kind of enjoyment. Instead focus on the taste enjoyment, pleasure at the front of your mouth, tip of your tongue. You can get by on less that way, eat slower, and wait for satiety signals.

No comments:

Post a Comment