Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Shifting my focus

So I gave in to after-dinner snacking even though I wasn't really hungry the past few days. I don't know what's up with that - the night eating thing has never really been my style. I basically broke even for about three days (including the party day) and then pushed, oh, -250 or so the past couple of days. It's something, but it's not much.

The other reason I pushed so little of a deficit yesterday was that my iPod finally died. It's an old Shuffle that I've had since I was fifteen, and the on-switch was getting sticky so you had to push real hard, push oppositely on the other side at the same time, and try it more than once. Yesterday was the day it just wouldn't turn on. I was very disappointed because I'd just put together a new playlist I was excited to listen to. So yesterday I didn't do any exercise because I didn't want to ellipticize without music and just sort of didn't feel like doing pull-ups. Yeah, I know.

So today I'm getting back on the wagon. I've had yoga and 915 calories so far, I'm going to get some milk to drink when I'm done writing this, then go home for dinner. But I need to shift my focus from lots of exercise and moderate diet, to some exercise and stricter diet. If I do yoga the mornings I have class, and run 2+ miles on other weekday mornings, I have 200 calories of exercise 5 days a week. Then, if I eat no more than 1700 calories a day, I should still lose a pound a week. That sequesters the exercise in the morning and doesn't require music, which makes it more manageable. I feel like, when I don't do any exercise at all, my diet is hard to manage. But even if I don't burn a ton of calories, just a little exercise makes it easy to restrict pretty hard. As far as my pull-ups, I occasionally skip a day out of boredom or discouragement, but I don't think I'll really lapse because I know I'll lose all my progress since I do nothing else of magnitude with my arms.

I also need to chill out and continue working even though it's getting hard to put my all into it, both schedule wise and in terms of motivation. I'm in the low end of what I've weighed before which simultaneously makes me impatient to lose-these-10-pounds-already and break 150, but also makes me feel not really fat, basically the same shape as everybody else, and therefore, not a big deal if I only maintain for some reason. So, I'm re-setting my attention on the next microgoal. 154.6 is the short range target. Just 5 pounds, so I can claim 30 pounds lost. Just 5 pounds, so these pants will fit a little looser and I can ride my bike comfortably with yoga shorts underneath them. Just 5 pounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment